Sunday, August 14, 2016

Passing the final exam of the CFA, Joseph Schooling and finding a purpose in life


CFA results
On August 09, the day the country celebrated national day. I received my CFA Level 3 results about 9.30pm. The congratulatory tone was a happy sound within my world - it brighten my family world for just a bit.



If any case, I would take no credit for this. No one reaches the pinnacle of success on his own.
For that, I would like to dedicate this to my father, my mother, my siblings, my friends and my colleagues that constantly edged me forward towards chasing my dreams. None of this would have been possible without encouragement during the particularly difficult year.

Now I seek a new job, to gather the experiences that would allow me to make my mark in the investment industry. I am excited about the area of impact investing and truly believe that the world can be a better place if we put our heart to making it so.

The country's first world champion
On Aug 13th, the nation of Singapore won its first ever gold medal through a young boy called Joseph Schooling. What people see as a 50.39sec - 100m butterfly swim is actually years and countless hours of training, of family effort, of parental love, of long early hours in the pool, of difficult times navigating NS deferment, much investment by his own family and the difficulty staying away from your home country.

What Joseph Schooling proved is that - little countries can do amazing things. All you need to do is to put your heart to it and keep going forward. It is amazing, and he thoroughly won my respect. A true inspiration.

Purpose in life
Many people go through life just plugging through the motions. Wasting time playing games, spending it on people who don't matter, chasing hobbies that do not add value to society. I began to realize this year that is not the life I want. I don't want to live a boring life that just does what an employer asks you to do, being a follower and not a leader, and ultimately not making people life better.

After reading the inspirational book "How will you measure your life" by the Harvard professor Clayton M. Christensen. I begun to ponder what is it that I want for this life. We have all but one life to live - how will we live it?

As he said "Figuring out the purpose of your life is the singular most important thing in life"
After thinking it through, I came up with 3 points:

1. To be a role model in society - someone that my parents, my family, my (future) spouse and my friends will be proud of.

2. To practice kindness, uphold integrity and stay true to striving for high standards in all things

3. To improve the lives of people around me, to help deal with their problems and to ultimately start a foundation that helps the sick and needy. That is to become someone that is deeply spiritual and cares for his fellow people.

No comments:

Post a Comment